15, Apr 2020 | nepaltraveller.com

Switzerland of Nepal

Jiri is a small city located in the Dolakha district. Jirels are the native residents of Jiri. The town was named after the same community. Jiri is the main gateway to the Everest Region in the past or it can be said as ‘Classic Route to Everest’. Almost all the Everest expeditions in the past, including the one led by famous climber John Hunt, Edmund Hillary had passed through Jiri. Jiri is the trailhead for many treks into the Mount Everest region. The trek to Lukla takes seven or eight days. About 5% begin their trek from Jiri, and the other 95% start their trek from the Lukla, cutting off one of the most adventurous and beautiful treks of Nepal


Linkan Bazaar is the biggest town of the Dolakha district which is the heart of Jiri. According to the census of 2011, Jiri had a population of 13,638 people. The predominant languages practiced here are Nepali, Tamang, Thami, Jirel, Newari, Sunuwar, Sherpa. And the highest ethics group of this place is Chettri about 28%, Jirel about 21% and Sherpa which is about 18%. 

Linkan Bazaar

Some of the major attraction of the place

Classic Route to Everest; The main gateway to the Everest Region in the past.

Cherdung Danda and Ramete Danda; Picnic Spot.

Cherdung Danda

Buddha Park (Boudha Stupa).

Buddha Park

Enjoy the splendid view of Langtang Himal, Ganesh Himal, Shisha Pangma, Dorje Lakpa, Jugal Himal, Gauri Shankar.

splendid view

Statue of Rimpoche.

Jiri Market; Clean, Green and Organic food and be found. The famous bazaar is Linkan Bazaar.

Shailung Hills; Cluster of 100 hills of Nepal.

Shailung Hills

Forest of Rhododendron blooming.

Churpi and Cheese of the place.

Kalinchowk Bhagwati Temple.

Kalinchowk Bhagwati Temple.

Community Homestay Village; Experience the warm hospitality of the Jiri people.

Tenzing Hillary Park.

Kalo Veer; Charikot, Dolakha and Jiri can be seen in a single sight.

Kalo Vee

Gaurishankar Conservation Area.

Experience the mesmerizing view of the sunrise on snow.

Jiri Fish Pond.

Jiri Fish Pond

Sagarmatha National Park.


Getting There

Jiri can be reached from Kathmandu by the BP Highway which connects Kathmandu to terai districts of Eastern Nepal.  Regular buses and micro-buses travel to the city from different parts of Nepal. Jiri is about 200km from Kathmandu and can take about 7 hours to reach

BP Highway

Jiri has an airfield but it is not maintained properly and not paved. However, Ramechhap Airport is located in close proximity to the city. It takes about 2 and a half hours and is about 30km from Ramechhap Airport to Jiri. Regular buses and taxis are available to reach Jiri from the airport.



Bandipur: The city which has not lost its touch with the past culture, tradition and art of Newari people

Sauraha: The gateway to the oldest national park of Nepal; Chitwan National Park

Putalibazar: City of Soldiers

Beni: Gateway to Mustang

Chame: The land beyond the Himalayas; Manang

Dhunche: The smallest district of The Himalayan Region; Rasuwa

Panauti: One of the oldest town of Nepal

join our newsLetter

powered by : nepal traveller digital publication pvt. ltd

developed by : Web House Nepal